Saturday, March 3, 2012

Zagreb in February: A Very Snowy Birthday


When we got back to Zagreb from our trip to the coast we were greeted with lots of snow!  It ended up being pretty much the worst blizzard Europe has had for about 20 years, which makes sense since it was Erin and my first time dealing with snow, so of course it would be an epic storm.  
The funny thing is earlier in the month Tomy and Marina (the couple that owns the apartment we were staying in) were telling us about how it had been an unusually warm winter, and that they were surprised because it hadn't snowed at all this year.  Apparently nature was saving up all the snow for this week.  
We were lucky that we planned our trip to the coast when we did because just about right after we got back to Zagreb they closed many of the roads to the coastal cities.  Basically we would have been stranded if we had been one day later. 




We made the most of the situation though and had a great time playing in the snow at the park by our house and trying to keep warm amidst the blizzardy weather. 

Ribjnak Park in the snow.



We did like taking walks in the snow, the city looked really beautiful all covered in white and the snow gives everything a quiet peaceful quality that's easy to appreciate having lived in the AZ heat my whole life :)



Snowball Fight!


  
It says "Zagreb 2012" with a heart if you can't tell ;)

As many of you know, my birthday is in February and I was lucky to be able to celebrate the big 25 in Zagreb this year.  Apparently Zagreb knew it was my birthday as well and was nice enough to throw me a Chocolate Festival!  It was very nice of them :)  
There is a big temporary building/tentlike structure on the Main square in Zagreb during the holiday season, and when we arrived in Zagreb it had mulled wine and food stands in it, but in early February it changed over to a Chocolate Festival full of beautiful and yummy treats.  We decided to go on my birthday and had a great time.
Chocolate  Tools
Chocolate record

There were booths with some pretty cool things, from fancy little cakes to realistic chocolate tools.  The place was packed and we walked around the tent a couple times before deciding on what we wanted to try.



Pretty little Chocolate cakes and desserts
they had these cute chandeliers all along the ceiling


So once we made the rounds and saw what each booth had to offer we decided on one we wanted to stop at. It ended up being the wine booth.




Now I know that it was a chocolate festival and all but the wine was very enticing and in our defense, each glass came with a chocolate as well so we were partaking in the chocolate festival, just with wine!  Erin was also kind enough to venture off and get me some birthday yummies while I held down the fort at our little table at the wine booth.

Chocolate Festival Wine
Birthday Treats

Now if you know me you know that I'm not exactly a cake fan.  I don't exactly "hate" it as many of my friends have claimed but it is definitely not my dessert of choice.  I do however like cheesecake!  So Erin found the closest thing to it (it was sort of like a cheesecake mousse ball) as well as some macaroons (which we had never had before and I've decided that I like the vanilla, not the mystery cough syrup one that I'm assuming is supposed to be berry).  Through some linguistic difficulties Erin managed to get the desserts in a box to go (so she could bring them back over to the wine booth where I refused to leave) but was without a utensil to eat them with.  As the place was very crowded and she didn't want to wait in the line again just to ask for forks she got a little coffee stirrer thing and we (very clumsily) ate the cheesecake with that.  It was quite entertaining. 


There is also this little bakery/coffee shop down the street from our apartment called Amelie.  We were very excited when we first saw it because Amelie is the name of one of Erin's favorite movies (it's a pretty good one if you haven't seen it although it's in French) and we decided to save going there for my birthday.  It was the cutest place inside, with adorable little tables and fun dainty art on the walls, and we picked the little table by the window to sit and drink some bijela kava (white coffee) before taking home some delightful desserts for later.


Our walk home from Amelie took us through Ribnjak park again and we enjoyed some more beautiful snowyness.  One of my favorite things are the streetlamps with snow on the top because the heat of the lamp melts the snow and it freezes again as it drips off the bottom to make these awesome icicles all around the base of the light.  Pretty fancy.
My boots in the snow


I must say it was a very good birthday and I am enjoying 25 so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment